You've taken a new job across the country! Congratulations!

You'll be moving to a new home in the great state of California. To save money on the move, you decide to rent a truck from a well known rental company. As you're on your way to your new home, the car in front of you stops suddenly. You rear end it, causing considerable damage.

Are you covered?

Moving Truck Rental Insurance

If you initialed and signed yes to the insurance questions on the rental form, then you're covered. That's because you purchased optional damage waivers and supplemental insurance from the truck rental company.

It's good to check with your insurance agent at Sun Pacific, though. Some auto policies do cover a rental truck. And your renters or homeowners policy will probably cover your belongings while in transit.

Again, check with your agent prior to the move to make sure you’re covered; especially since you're driving a vehicle you're probably unfamiliar with.

You don't want to add to the stress of moving and starting a new job by worrying about a truck accident.  So, in most cases you're probably best off buying the rental company’s insurance. It's inexpensive and it's reassuring to know that you're definitely covered.

Contact Sun Pacific Insurance for a thorough review of this situation. We will provide you with the peace of mind you deserve about your insurance coverage.

Now That You're Moved In, What About Insurance?

When you move to another state your auto and homeowners/renters insurance will change. Insurance companies apply different rates to different states. Plus state laws may differ.

Auto Insurance

You can contact your current agent for a referral in your new state or find an agent on your own. But most likely, you'll need to get another agent (unless your agent is licensed in your new state).

If you move within your state, report your change of address to your agent. Since where you live impacts the rates, it may make a difference in your insurance costs. 

Homeowners Insurance

If you own a home, you'll have to keep your insurance in force until the house changes ownership.

For your new home you'll have to supply proof of insurance prior to purchase. Even if you rent, you may need to provide proof of renters insurance as part of the lease.

You might want to consider getting umbrella insurance as another layer of coverage, in the event you’re a victim of our litigious society. The umbrella coverage kicks in after your homeowner and/or auto insurance policy liability limit is reached.

If your new home is part of an association, you might want to consider loss assessment coverage. This coverage pays for a loss the association might assess its homeowners for. (For example, if the association gets sued and the judgment is greater than the association's policy limits, they might ask the homeowners to kick in that overage.)

Finally, if you store belongings in a commercial storage unit, check your homeowners or renters insurance to see if they're covered. If not, you may have to purchase a storage unit policy.

One Insurance Source

Contact Sun Pacific Insurance today if you're moving to the Southern California area. We'll make sure you get the right auto and homeowners coverage for your new surroundings. As a local, leading independent agent, we have many highly rated insurance companies for you to choose from.

You're guaranteed to receive the right protection, at the best possible price for your situation, by making sure you receive all of your allowed premium discounts.