From the monthly archives: August 2011

We are pleased to present below all posts archived in 'August 2011'. If you still can't find what you are looking for, try using the search box.

Protecting Yourself When Working From Home

Written by on 8/30/2011 8:01 PM . It has 0 Comments.

Changes in technology and the economic downturn mean more of us than ever are working from home. Depending on how you define them, the US now has between 20m and 40m home-based businesses, plus another 30m home offices, many of them used by "telecommuters" – people working from home for another employer. Add those figures together and it means a sizeable chunk of the population now spend at least part of their work-time at home. And the trend is growing. What many people don’t realize is that this practice has special insurance needs because it likely either won’t be covered by your homeowners policy – for liability for instance – or there'll be restrictions on the level of protection against damage. If you're employed by someone else, the first thing you should do is check with them on how their insurance protects you but if you're self-employed you almost certainly need to arrange additional coverage. Obviously, if your activity involves visits from clients – a sewing a ...

Read More

How To Insure Your Sports And Recreational Vehicles

Written by on 8/22/2011 6:10 PM . It has 0 Comments.

Boats, jet skis, ATVs and recreational vehicles are exciting modes of transportation. They provide a great means of escape on weekends and vacations, but ownership of these thrill-seeking vehicles creates the need for special insurance to protect you, your passengers and others. While all recreational-type vehicles can be protected by the same basic coverages, each one has its own special requirements and restrictions. BASIC COVERAGES At a minimum, boats, jet skis, ATVs and recreational vehicles need "liability" and “comprehensive” insurance coverage. Liability protects you if your vehicle injures someone or damages someone else's property, and comprehensive insurance protects your property in case of vandalism, damage or destruction caused by theft or fire. Depending on the age and value of your investment, you may want to purchase collision insurance, which provides coverage for damage you cause to your own property. BOATS The amount you pay for your boat insurance will depend on many facto ...

Read More

Sprinkler Systems Now Required In New Homes

Written by on 8/16/2011 5:08 AM . It has 0 Comments.

Starting this year, homes built in Southern California and throughout the state will be sold with a virtual firefighter in every room, on duty 24 hours a day to save lives. That is the way fire marshals describe California building code amendments that now require every single-family home and duplex built anywhere in the state to be equipped with a fire sprinkler system. The provision, which became effective Jan. 1, 2011, is hoped to make a dent in fire fatalities, which nationally claim the lives of eight people a day. A March 2010 report from the National Fire Protection Association found that, in a five-year period, the death rate per 1,000 reported home fires was 83% lower when sprinkler systems were present than when they weren't. The home building industry, which resisted sprinklers in single family houses for more than two decades, says in California, it will add about $4,000 to the cost of an average house, or about $2 per square foot. Before Jan. 1 California had no statewide building code requi ...

Read More