A recent study found that millennials are renting in larger numbers than ever before, but that they are not getting renters coverage even though it's inexpensive and can provide protection for their belongings.
Researchers also found that most (75%) of the people surveyed did not know they could obtain renters insurance for about the same monthly cost as a pair of movie tickets, and had therefore not purchased coverage for their possessions.
They concluded that there was a clear misconception among this group of young people about how important it is to have renters insurance and the true cost of coverage. Leaving belongings at risk when less than $20 per month can buy adequate coverage is an unwise move.
Renters often live in properties with multiple units, and they may not always realize how high the risk of fires and other disasters are in these places. Although property owners are responsible for repairs to the structure in the event of most disasters, they are not responsible for tenants' belongings. It is up to renters to make sure their possessions are protected.
In their research, experts also found that about 40% of people without renters coverage did not think it was necessary. Nearly 70% of all young adult renters replied that the cost to replace all of their belongings would exceed $5,000. Renters who had coverage said they bought policies because they wanted the peace of mind to know they were protected.
Renters' biggest fears:
- Two of the biggest fears among respondents were theft and fires.
- About 40% said their biggest fear was fire damage.
- About 30% said their biggest fear was theft.
- Believe it or not, almost 5% said that their biggest fear was a zombie apocalypse!
- Nearly 25% of the renters surveyed said they would rescue their laptops first ahead of mobile phones, hidden cash and heirlooms.
- About 40% of respondents said they did not know stolen property was covered in a renter's insurance policy.
- About 30% said they did not believe party mishaps would be covered, and they were surprised to find that many types of damage to personal property or the structure that are typical at parties were actually covered.
The bottom line is that renters insurance is affordable, quick and easy to buy, and renters everywhere should make sure they always have it!