In traditional St. Patty's Day fashion, you might be enjoying a pint of green beer with some friends and family this evening. As your protection specialists, your safety is our primary concern. Therefore, if you know someone who is thinking about driving after kicking back a few drinks, here are some tips on how you can intervene without causing a scene.
- If the person is a close friend, try to use a soft, calm approach at first. Suggest that they've had too much to drink and it would be better to let someone else drive or to take a cab.
- Be calm. Joke about it. Make light of it.
- Try to make it sound like you are doing them a favor.
- If the person is somebody you don't know well, speak to his/her friends and have them make an attempt to persuade him/her to hand over the keys. Usually, they will listen.
- If the person is a good friend, spouse or significant other, tell him/her that if they insists on driving, you are not going with them. Tell them that you will call someone else for a ride, take a cab or walk.
- Locate the person's keys while they are preoccupied and take them away. Most likely, they will think they've lost their keys and will be forced to find another mode of transportation.
- If possible, avoid embarrassing the person or being confrontational. This makes them appear vulnerable to alcohol and its effects.
Happy St. Patty's Day from Sun Pacific and Members Pacific Insurance Brokers!