What to do if you're hit by an uninsured motorist

Written by on 2/28/2011 4:45 PM . It has 0 Comments.

More drivers are letting their car insurance lapse because of the sour economy, putting themselves and others at risk.

Several hundred thousand drivers dropped their insurance in the past year as the unemployment rate climbed.  In addition, research shows that almost 40% of individuals applying for auto insurance online had let their policies lapse, up from 10% a couple years ago.

This trend is bad for everyone on the road.  If you’re hit by an uninsured motorist, you may have to sue to recover costs, and many uninsured motorists have few assets.

So, what can you do to safeguard yourself, your family and assets if you are ever injured by an uninsured motorist?

You can protect yourself, family and most important assets by increasing your uninsured motorist coverage.

How is this beneficial to you?

Well, uninsured motorist coverage provides protection for you and all the members of your family that reside in the household with you.  It also includes any minor children that do not reside with you, as well as your children who may be away at college.

You do not have to be an automobile driver or passenger in order to be eligible for benefits. Your automobile uninsured motorist policy applies even if you were a pedestrian, bicyclist, motorcyclist, or bystander, so long as the motorist who caused your injuries was uninsured or under-insured.

The coverage also applies for the benefit of other passengers in your car or other people driving your car with your permission, and who are injured by an uninsured or under-insured driver. How much uninsured motorist coverage do you need?

This, of course, is a very personal question, and there is no one correct answer. To some extent, the amount that you need will be tied in to the amount of liability insurance that you can afford.

If you would like to safeguard yourself, your family and assets, and explore your options for uninsured motorist coverage, give us a call at (949)582-5220 to receive more information.


Got something to say? Join the discussion ยป

Leave a Reply

 [Quick Submit with Ctrl+Enter]

Remember my details
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail